Sunday, May 29, 2011

Criterion Sundays


With every Sunday I plan on spotlighting a movie found in the Criterion Collection as well as any movie I see fit from Sony Pictures Classics, these being my two favorite independent labels. It is only fitting to start this collection on the weekend The Tree of Life is released to American theaters. The new Terrence Malick movie has been one of my followed movies on IMDb for quite sometime and I hope to spotlight it soon on His Private Literature.
So to start this collection I bring to you one of Wes Anderson's best works. The Royal Tenenbaums has become the movie to launch Anderson's fame in my eyes. I think that Rushmore made a ripple in the world of entertainment, Tenenbaums solidified Wes Anderson's reputation in the artistic community. With his famous long pans and stage like setup's at times, this movie shows what Anderson is best at. Also, this is the movie that began his long range of reoccuring cast members, ranging from Angelica Huston to Owen Wilson to the great Bill Murray. This movie recieved some negative reviews because of its dry humor, but I think that the humor is what also helped make this movie great. From the montage of Margot growing up, showing how she developed as a teenager to a sad woman in her 20's. With grade A preformances, the dry and witty humor, as well as Anderson's classic camera shots this has to be among one of my favorites. I would highly recommend all of Wes Anderson's works but if you have not seen one film by him, I would recommend to watch this one first. Trust me, it will hook you in.